1. Click HERE to register with the Russian Meeting Place (it's free!) so that you can participate in our Russian-Western community.

Sending packages (to Belarus)

Discussion in 'Calling Cards, Mail Delivery, Telephone Calls, Int' started by sportbud, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Missing

sportbud New Member
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Sending packages

Hello Everyone,
    I am getting ready to send a package to Belarus.I was wondering about any services that anyone has used and how long did it take to get there.I will be grateful for any information. Thanks , Bud
  2. Missing

SufiPoet Administrator
    Artistic

Message Count:
    500 Posts Distinction1,000 Posts Distinction3,000 Posts Distinction5,000 Posts Distinction

Hi Bud :)

I found that the U.S. Post Office International Express mail was the safest and quickest way to send packages to Belarus.

If you send them any other U.S. mail method, there is a real chance of packages being opened and things being stolen.

It took about 5 days for a package to arrive to Mogilev when I sent packaged through USPS International Express mail in the past.

You can also look at the discussions in the "mail delivery" forum, which is in the Russian "Life and Culture" section.

I am sure that your fiance and her family will LOVE the gifts that you send...

Sufipoet

P.S... I am going to move this thread into the "gift delivery" and "mail" section so that it will be grouped with other similar threads...
  3. Missing

Laters New Member
    Cheerful

Message Count:
    United StatesHawaii

I agree with Sufipoet. I've been sending packages to Belarus for sometime now. If I'm sending something of value or a package, I'll usually send it EMS. If it's a letter, via regular mail. Sometimes though, I'll send a large padded envelope via regular mail. Usually stuff that doesn't quite fill a box or merit the high price of EMS. Haven't really had a problem yet. I usually let Mila know if something is on it's way so she can keep a look out for it.
  4. Missing

Emetsky New Member
    No Mood

Message Count:

Meest...

For letters I use the US postal service but if I'm sending packages, I use the services of Meest.

If you send a package via US mail, the recipient will have to pay custom tolls.

Here's a place in West Hollywood where there is a Meest agent.

Slavick Post

7856 Santa Monica Blvd.
    West Hollywood, CA 90046

Tel: (323) 656-0688

They are also a MoneyGram agent.

hth
  5. Missing

jhc New Member
    No Mood

Message Count:
    what is EMS?
  6. Missing

Laters New Member
    Cheerful

Message Count:
    United StatesHawaii

EMS is Global express mail. It's an option at the U.S. Post office. It takes about a week to a week and a half get to Belarus. Though, I've had it make it there in 4-5 days. The price is fairly reasonable.

Go to USPS.com and click on calculate postage and just follow the steps. You can get an idea how much it will cost to send a package. Cost depends on weight and how fast you want it to get there.

Don't claim the value for more than $100 or else she will have to pay a tax on it.
  7. Missing

jhc New Member
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ah, yes, actually I've used this succesfully a dozen times or so
  8. Missing

catfish39 New Member
    Cheerful

Message Count:
    United States
    sending to Belarus

Hi SufiPoet,

it seems that you know how does it work to send something to Belarus. Could you help me please with some gifts for a family there?

I wish to send them something and think some cloths and perfums would be good for them. Isn't it?

and I also would like to know how much I have to declare as value to let them NOT pay the customs?

Thank you a lot!

9. Online

Raspberry Elite Contributing Member
    Transparent

Message Count:
    United StatesWashington
    500 Posts Distinction1,000 Posts DistinctionGeneral Service Medal

I'm curious about the theft rate, too. I have shipped boxes to Ukraine, and there have been some minor things(i.e. one pack of candy)stolen. How is does the Post office in Belarus rate?
  10. Missing

martin3030 Elite Contributing Member
    Elated

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    500 Posts Distinction1,000 Posts Distinction

Ive sent a few cards to Ukraine and not one has got to my OH.
  11. Missing

lindochka New Member
    Mellow

Message Count:
    BelarusMinsk Oblast

I also recommend Meest, which has been in business since 1989. I've used them since 2000. In the past I used Meest to send parcels to my relatives in Belarus and then to my future husband. Now that I myself live in Belarus I still use Meest to ship over stuff I acquire on my occasional visits to the US.

Parcels go from the US or Canada to Ukraine, and then from Ukraine up to Minsk, Belarus. From Minsk they are delivered by Belpochta (the national postal service here) to the recipient. In all the years I've used Meest I've never had a problem with theft or with Belarusian customs. My relatives told me that delivery personnel were very professional and that has also been my own experience when receiving parcels.

Meest's website -- English language version:

http://www.meest.us/

Locate the Meest agent nearest to you here:

http://www.meest.net/default.asp?vPage=InfoOfAgent01

I have no connection to Meest other than being a satisfied customer.
  12. Missing

seanakin17 New Member
    Lucky

Message Count:
    United States
    questions

The affidavit I sent was wrong so I had to resend and used Global express
    USPS quoted a week and half. Is that a firm date or can I hope that it will get there sooner.
    How long will customs "sit" on Documents?
    and lastly will the staus be updated once it gets to Belarus
  13. Online

Buckeye5704 RMP Admin
    Inlove

Message Count:
    500 Posts Distinction1,000 Posts Distinction3,000 Posts Distinction5,000 Posts Distinction

USPS only gives delivery times (and/or guarantees) to a nation's Point of Entry, mate. THEN the local postal system takes over.
  14. Offline

EasyTarget Senior Member
    Zorro

Message Count:
    United StatesFlorida
    500 Posts Distinction1,000 Posts Distinction3,000 Posts Distinction

Because you are getting closer to the holiday season, you can expect longer wait times. Although the package should be delivered in 3 weeks or less.
  15. Missing

seanakin17 New Member
    Lucky

Message Count:
    United States
    Thank you, we are both getting nervous with new years 2 weeks away